Forum

Search Our Site

Topic-icon Chiefs to Pow-wow with Connacht in August Friendly

• sea_point
  • sea_point's Avatar Topic Author
  • Praetorian Guard
More
11 years 10 months ago #8105

From home page, first Pre-Season Friendly announced by Exeter...

Aviva Premiership side Exeter Chiefs have confirmed today that they have arranged a pre-season fixture with Connacht Rugby.

The fixture, to be played at their home ground Sandy Park, Exeter on Saturday August 11th (time TBD), is a reversal of last season's warm up in which Connacht hosted the Chiefs in Dubarry Park. A very strong Chiefs side convincingly beat a much weakened and changed Connacht squad by 10 - 47.

The Chiefs backed up their impressive promotion to the Premiership for season 2010-11 with an even more impressive 2011-12 season. They finished fifth in the league, narrowly missing out on a playoff spot for the Premiership final but more importantly securing a first ever Heineken Cup slot for this ambitous club. In only their second season of European competition they also won through to the Amlin Cup Quarter Finals winning a group containing Perpignan (USAP) and Newport Gwent Dragons, narrowly losing out on a Semi-final slot away to Stade Francais in Paris.

They are a club built around the traditional West Country values of big powerful scrummaging pack, but they also contain a lot of guile in their backs so they will provide ample test for Eric Elwoods charges as they prepare for a season in which they will look to achieve further progress in both RaboDirect Pro12 and Heineken Cup competitions.

For those thinking about visiting Sandy Park for the fixture see -

www.exeterchiefs.co.uk/visiting-sandy-park

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ummm,
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Water Boarder
More
11 years 10 months ago #8106

I really like what's happening at the Chiefs, sound like a great bunch. Hope anyone who can will go.

If we draw them in the HEC will this still go ahead, though?

Justice 4 Faruk

• sea_point
  • Praetorian Guard
More
11 years 10 months ago #8107

ummm, wrote: I really like what's happening at the Chiefs, sound like a great bunch. Hope anyone who can will go.

If we draw them in the HEC will this still go ahead, though?

I'd say so regardless, although the make-up of both sides consequently could be very interesting should that happen...

More
11 years 10 months ago #8109

ya heard this 2weeks ago. we are also playing quins AGAIN on the 18th

More
11 years 10 months ago #8110

Just looking here, about 4 hours on train from london so think i will pop down for the night give a little support. Must start booking my tickets home in good time for the home games. Is the Quins game sportsground or Stoop

• sea_point
  • Praetorian Guard
More
11 years 10 months ago #8112

sligsup wrote: Just looking here, about 4 hours on train from london so think i will pop down for the night give a little support. Must start booking my tickets home in good time for the home games. Is the Quins game sportsground or Stoop

I'd hazard it'll be a home game (whether that's Sportsground or Dubarry as it's pre-season) as it's a full week later. If it was a Wednesday game then I'd say they lads would be staying over in Camp an heading to London...

More
11 years 10 months ago #8119

Harlequins match in London.

More
11 years 10 months ago #8135

These are all very good games to get under our belt, hopefully we'll get some strong opposition at the Sportsground/Dubarry Park, maybe a return game against Saracens.

Nothing against Harlequins but both teams must be sick of the sight of one another at this stage.

logo