Search Our Site

Topic-icon Connacht v Aironi - Match Thread - Sat 21/04/12

• Borders no.2
  • Borders no.2's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
12 years 3 days ago #6858

Last home game of the season. Expecting a win here to keep our push going for 8th. Aironi players are fighting for their futures but if we go about our business properly, don't try and force the game at an early stage and take every 3 point opportunity early on we should be fine. A bonus point may be possible but the most important issue in achieving that is getting breathing space early on.

The players owe it to themselves to put things right for the atrocious performance against Aironi back in January.

Last edit: 12 years 6 hours ago by sea_point.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Connman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 3 days ago #6859

Yes even though they are folding we owe them a good game back in the Sportsground in return for the defeat in Italy..

• ummm,
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Water Boarder
More
12 years 3 days ago #6862

Aironi are getting tougher and tougher, but we'll be out for revenge. They narrowly lost to Scarlets, and I wouldn't like to be playing them away from home again.

But final home game, with a big send off, should make for an emotional night

Justice 4 Faruk

• ummm,
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Water Boarder
More
12 years 3 days ago #6864

Wilko's injury from Saturday has ruled him out for the rest of the season, harse.

NOC also confirmed out for the final two games. The way Miah is playing he would have been hard done by to lose his place, though.

Justice 4 Faruk

• sea_point
  • Praetorian Guard
More
12 years 3 days ago #6872

ummm, wrote: Aironi are getting tougher and tougher, but we'll be out for revenge. They narrowly lost to Scarlets, and I wouldn't like to be playing them away from home again.

But final home game, with a big send off, should make for an emotional night

Lads need to foucs on getting the job done, it'll be a real war as Aironi will be desperate to win the first ever away fixture in their last ever away game. If we go into this still backslapping ourselves after the Ulster game we will come a cropper. With Wilko out they'll come after our scrum and try to neuter us through the pack. We will need to play an expansive game and move them around the pitch, our rucking game will be key. Most of all we need to start well, get on the board early and make them play some rugby. Our discipline needs to be a lot better than last week also, we canot afford to keep them in the game with free points...

More
12 years 3 days ago #6874

With wilko out eric may be tempted to push ronan loughney to loose head and start Rodney. That would be a mistake imo as rodney will be exposed in scrum and scrum is a key part of what has turned around connachts season. I think loughney has to be left at tight head and Buckley given the start at loosehead. Rodgers should be given the bench spot to back him up. Buckley has shown a lot of promise in the scrum and in general and should be capable of giving team 60min of good scrummaging which will be key in this game.
As others have said Miah needs to continue to reward the team with regular 3 pointers and that will give platform for everything else. He had a bit of a blip in 2nd qtr v ulster and that coincided with them coming back into game(granted humph lites blip? gave connacht lead in first place).
I expect a good win here and hopefully a bonus point, but they cant get caught up in the pary atmosphere that will be around sportsground from early and need to be professional about it.

Have connacht had a bonus point win this season? i dont remember one.

• ummm,
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Water Boarder
More
12 years 3 days ago #6875

None I'm afraid, but we lead the league in Losing Bonuses :(

Justice 4 Faruk

• connachtexile
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
12 years 3 days ago #6877

I think loughney has to be left at tight head and Buckley given the start at loosehead. Rodgers should be given the bench spot to back him up.

+1

Buckley deserves it on form and he's only gonna get better with more gametime. Does anyone know about Ray and Bret's injuries? Are they gonna be out for long?

Stuck in Oz with no slippers

More
12 years 3 days ago #6878

Probably can't make it to Galway this weekend :( Is this match being televised?

• sea_point
  • Praetorian Guard
More
12 years 3 days ago #6885

fifthcolumn wrote: Probably can't make it to Galway this weekend :( Is this match being televised?

Nope, not on TV.. :-(

More
12 years 3 days ago #6890

I'll just have to invent a transporter so...

More
12 years 3 days ago #6895

connachtexile wrote:

I think loughney has to be left at tight head and Buckley given the start at loosehead. Rodgers should be given the bench spot to back him up.

+1

Buckley deserves it on form and he's only gonna get better with more gametime. Does anyone know about Ray and Bret's injuries? Are they gonna be out for long?

Brett's out for the rest of the season with calf knack. I don't think we'll see Ray either so I hope we get a chance to give him a proper send off.

More
12 years 2 days ago #6908

ummm, wrote: Wilko's injury from Saturday has ruled him out for the rest of the season, harse.

NOC also confirmed out for the final two games. The way Miah is playing he would have been hard done by to lose his place, though.

I'd say Miah emergence of late probably will give the management something to think about over the summer. It really looked like they were giving NOC every chance to succeed as the #1 outhalf and in truth he was starting to reward their patience, but now they can't ignore Nikora so it will be an interesting battle for the #1 and #2 spots when Parks comes to town.

rossir, wrote: With wilko out eric may be tempted to push ronan loughney to loose head and start Rodney.

After the 70 minutes that Buckley put in against Ulster they would be crazy to start Rodney. Put him on the bench and if things go really well for Connacht bring him on for 15-20 minutes because he does need time, but do not start him.

• connachtexile
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
12 years 2 days ago #6916

That's a shame about Ray and Bret both nice guys and great players. Really hope we do something for Ray to give him a proper send off!

• Diom
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Rise Up, Something Up
More
12 years 1 day ago #6932

Anyone who wants to give Ray a send off, please make sure to come along to the Player's Forum.

A Connacht is not just for the Xmas Inter-Pros...
A Connacht is for Life

• connachtexile
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
12 years 1 day ago #6934

That's the live one on after the last game? Will be Ray be attending? Does anyone know about Keith Matthews?

I'm in Oz at the mo so won't be there. :( Would dearly love to be as well.

logo