Forum

Search Our Site

Topic-icon Connacht Signing Announcments - 2012-13

More
11 years 11 months ago #7798

The rumours have proven too. I'd imagine Brian Murphy has come in mainly to bolster the squad for the B&I Cup. He has looked decent at AIL level the couple of times I've seen him but haven't seen enough of him to know whether he can make the step up. Hopefully he'll get a chance to prove himself at least in the A side.

I'd imagine he's on a development deal so hopefully we will manage another signing at centre yet.

At prop, Burke-Flynn might be a good shout as cover for both sides, not overly enthused about the possibility of Borlase coming in.

Any word since on Stewart Maguire? Is he leaving?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 11 months ago #7799

Youtube clip of rbf

• connachtexile
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
11 years 11 months ago #7800

He's the right age to bring in and his experiences abroad will have done him no harm. Wouldn't be the worst signing for us.

Stuck in Oz with no slippers

More
11 years 11 months ago #7801

Porterbelly wrote: Royce Burke Flynn

Has played with Montauban in Pro D 2 and Doncaster in the Eng championship. he can play both sides and is pretty mobile. Sounds very interesting to me

connachtexile wrote: He's the right age to bring in and his experiences abroad will have done him no harm. Wouldn't be the worst signing for us.

Yeah exactly what I've said, some people say he was promising in Leinster Academy, has played for the south African Western Force, too.
He really seems to be a great ball carrier and tackler on the few videos I have seen. The LH/TH profile is useful (look at Loughney this year!)

Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by connachta.

More
11 years 11 months ago #7803

And I found a very interesting archive of 2008 :

LEINSTER DEVELOPMENT XV:

15: Felix Jones
14: Shane Monahan (Cian Aherne, 51)
13: Fergus McFadden (Eoin O'Malley, half-time)
12: Kyle Tonetti (Fergus McFadden, 64)
11: Niall Morris (Shane Monahan, 64)
10: James Power (Paul O'Donohoe, 64)
9: Paul O'Donohoe (David Moore, half-time)

1: Ruaidhri Murphy
2: Jason Harris-Wright (Richie Sweeney, half-time)
3: Royce-Burke Flynn
4: Conor McInerney
5: Shane Grannell (Jason Harris-Wright, 69) (Jamie Hagan, 74)
6: Michael Noone
7: Paul Ryan
8: Kevin McLaughlin CAPTAIN (John Dever, half-time)

A lot of well-known names for us.. A pity we haven't kept Shane Monahan, 11 tries in Championship this year, moved to Gloucester, but we can gather again Jason Harris-Wright, Royce-Burke Flynn, Kyle Tonetti, Paul O'Donohoe and David Moore! Shoulder to Shoulder! :P

Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by connachta.

More
11 years 11 months ago #7805

Borders no.2 wrote: The rumours have proven too. I'd imagine Brian Murphy has come in mainly to bolster the squad for the B&I Cup. He has looked decent at AIL level the couple of times I've seen him but haven't seen enough of him to know whether he can make the step up. Hopefully he'll get a chance to prove himself at least in the A side.

I'd imagine he's on a development deal so hopefully we will manage another signing at centre yet.

At prop, Burke-Flynn might be a good shout as cover for both sides, not overly enthused about the possibility of Borlase coming in.

Any word since on Stewart Maguire? Is he leaving?

Yes, Maguire is leaving

More
11 years 11 months ago #7808

Paul Doran-Jones, Jason Harris-Wright and Royce Burke-Flynn as an all (originally) Irish, all double-barrelled front row?

• connachtexile
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
11 years 11 months ago #7810

LEINSTER DEVELOPMENT XV:

15: Felix Jones -- Munster
14: Shane Monahan -- Gloucester
13: Fergus McFadden -- Leinster
12: Kyle Tonetti -- Us
11: Niall Morris -- Leicester Tigers
10: James Power -- ?
9: Paul O'Donohoe -- Us

1: Ruaidhri Murphy -- Oz
2: Jason Harris-Wright -- Us
3: Royce-Burke Flynn -- ?
4: Conor McInerney -- Retired through injury
5: Shane Grannell -- ?
6: Michael Noone -- ?
7: Paul Ryan -- ? Is he retired?
8: Kevin McLaughlin -- Leinster

Paul Doran-Jones, Jason Harris-Wright and Royce Burke-Flynn as an all (originally) Irish, all double-barrelled front row

Paul Doran-Jones now plays for England but yeah it would have been a mouthful alright. If I remember correctly Shane Grannell was last year in the AIL at least tearing up tree trunks they switched him to 6 and it seemed to be the making of him. Kinda like Copeland and it getting him a move to Cardiff.

Last edit: 11 years 11 months ago by connachtexile.

• sea_point
  • Praetorian Guard
More
11 years 11 months ago #7812

connachtexile wrote: LEINSTER DEVELOPMENT XV:

15: Felix Jones -- Munster
14: Shane Monahan -- Gloucester
13: Fergus McFadden -- Leinster
12: Kyle Tonetti -- Us
11: Niall Morris -- Leicester Tigers
10: James Power -- Greystones
9: Paul O'Donohoe -- Us

1: Ruaidhri Murphy -- Oz
2: Jason Harris-Wright -- Us
3: Royce-Burke Flynn -- Doncaster
4: Conor McInerney -- Retired through injury
5: <strong>Shane Grannell</strong> -- UCD
6: Michael Noone -- Doncaster
7: Paul Ryan -- ? Trainee Accountant with KPMG - Don't think he has played since released by Leinster
8: Kevin McLaughlin -- Leinster

Paul Doran-Jones, Jason Harris-Wright and Royce Burke-Flynn as an all (originally) Irish, all double-barrelled front row

Paul Doran-Jones now plays for England but yeah it would have been a mouthful alright. If I remember correctly Shane Grannell was last year in the AIL at least tearing up tree trunks they switched him to 6 and it seemed to be the making of him. Kinda like Copeland and it getting him a move to Cardiff.

The following user(s) said Thank You: connachtexile

• connachtexile
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
11 years 10 months ago #7820

Thanks for that. Grannell is a player I'd keep an eye on. Yes we're alright with backrow forwards are the moment but good six's are hard to find. Was good to see White and Faloon get gametime in the H Cup as well.

More
11 years 10 months ago #7855

royce burke-flynn is a TH and we are looking for a LH presumably so maybe Shane Cahill might be more what we are looking for. Also graduate of Leinster acadamy and playing with Rotherham.
I dont know if super 10 italy or Champ england is the higher standard but Dave Ryan has also done well at Lazio in LH position. He was badly treated at Munster where they persisted in trying to convert him to a TH and he kept getting injured in the process so he was released. Dont know anything about him turning down a connacht offer in past but connacht is now a much more attractive club for many reasons for all players.The only thing it lacks imo atm is international recognition and i think the lack there of must come from higher up the chain than Kidney its so blatant at this stage. Kidney has always been a politician and a follower of the party line and the IRFU have always influenced Squad and team selections where they deemed it prudent so the continued absence of connacht players must meet the IRFUs approval.

Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by rossie.

• ummm,
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Water Boarder
More
11 years 10 months ago #7856

Very hard to argue for Connacht representation after Leinster & Ulster got to the HEC final and Munster finished 3rd in the Pro12, while we had an absolutely horrible 14 game losing streak.

Justice 4 Faruk

• sea_point
  • Praetorian Guard
More
11 years 10 months ago #7862

ummm, wrote: Very hard to argue for Connacht representation after Leinster & Ulster got to the HEC final and Munster finished 3rd in the Pro12, while we had an absolutely horrible 14 game losing streak.

Don't think any poster on here has unrealistic expectations regarding Connacht players. We have three solid candidates though that are the equals of their peers in other provinces. Macca & Wilko through excellence, and Ronnie Loughney primarily due to lack of serious competition at Tight Head. Mul has been outstanding this season as has Gavin, but there is much more competition in their positions. None of our younger player has been remotely consistent enough through the course of the season to warrant mention in Irish Squad debates....

More
11 years 10 months ago #7875

rossie wrote: royce burke-flynn is a TH and we are looking for a LH presumably so maybe Shane Cahill might be more what we are looking for. Also graduate of Leinster acadamy and playing with Rotherham.

RBF has played both sides, and Cahill isn't in the Rotherham departure list, so there's less chances

• ummm,
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Water Boarder
More
11 years 10 months ago #7880

From the IT this morning, discussing Munsters NIE quota

There is space for a foreign player without international experience, who can be naturalised via residency, as Peter Borlase is returning to New Zealand.

Justice 4 Faruk

• sea_point
  • Praetorian Guard
More
11 years 10 months ago #7881

ummm, wrote: From the IT this morning, discussing Munsters NIE quota

There is space for a foreign player without international experience, who can be naturalised via residency, as <strong>Peter Borlase is returning to New Zealand.</strong>

It was never happening. As I mentioned before the rumour that he was coming to us was only ever coming from the intelligentsia on the Munsterfans site and their overinflated opinion that they are the font of all rugby knowledge.

They presume that their cast-offs are good enough for Connacht, and that all Munster have to do is glance at a Connacht player and they will sign for them... :lol:

logo