Clan Forum

Search Our Site

Topic-icon Ex Players in the News...

  • connemara man
  • connemara man's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
1 year 8 months ago #59479

Would I be right in saying that Parata, Dever, and gaffney are projects in their new countries? Ie have been in them since before Jan 1st gone?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 8 months ago #59480

connachta wrote: Hope they replace Kings and Zebre in the next 5 years...


Zebre have beaten us twice in two years now. 3 if you count the hammering they were giving us before the gods intervened.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 8 months ago #59482

That's why it's better to have them out :P

More seriously, they're poor. We just manage sometimes to be poorer against poorest team (Zebre/Dragons). I hate their gamestyle (there's no style at all).
Yes they're slightly improving. So Slowly that I think ProXX would be better off with US team in 5 years. And Italy better off to focus with 1 quality franchise, just like Argentina, Japan, Fidji ...

Last edit: 1 year 8 months ago by connachta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • connemara man
  • connemara man's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
1 year 8 months ago #59483

I really think this American pro tournament will be the one that works so dreams of an American pro 14 team should be forgotten!

Italian rugby need a second team. If not more, with the population they have they should be producing more top players but their not, and the Conor O Shea project might change that

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 8 months ago #59484

connachta wrote: And Italy better off to focus with 1 quality franchise, just like Argentina, Japan, Fidji ...


One franchise is a recipe for disaster - look at how Argentina have gone backwards since they went down that route. The lads who start for the Jaguares every week are more or less guaranteed to start for Argentina and there's no competition for places at all, to the point where they're thinking of letting foreign-based players back into the international fold. Meanwhile the Japanese franchise is a joke and Fiji don't have one - they have a semi-pro team in the Aussie NPC, which is about AIL standard but only goes on for 3 months.

2 is better but not sufficient - both Italy and Scotland need foreign-based players, with the lack of control that brings. You need a minimum of 4 feeder teams for an international set-up. That's the only reason Connacht Rugby still exists.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Westie, Fast twitch, Conn Not 65, RoadRunnerR1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 8 months ago #59487

connemara man wrote: Would I be right in saying that Parata, Dever, and gaffney are projects in their new countries? Ie have been in them since before Jan 1st gone?


Dever might have an American passport, if not yes he could represent the U.S. in three years. I can see a lot of young Irish lads who miss out on academy places having their heads turned by the chance of earning 30-40k in the U.S.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 8 months ago #59488

salmson wrote:

connachta wrote: And Italy better off to focus with 1 quality franchise, just like Argentina, Japan, Fidji ...


One franchise is a recipe for disaster - look at how Argentina have gone backwards since they went down that route. The lads who start for the Jaguares every week are more or less guaranteed to start for Argentina and there's no competition for places at all, to the point where they're thinking of letting foreign-based players back into the international fold. Meanwhile the Japanese franchise is a joke and Fiji don't have one - they have a semi-pro team in the Aussie NPC, which is about AIL standard but only goes on for 3 months.

2 is better but not sufficient - both Italy and Scotland need foreign-based players, with the lack of control that brings. You need a minimum of 4 feeder teams for an international set-up. That's the only reason Connacht Rugby still exists.


Argentina does not that bad, look at the game vs Ireland.
Fidjian Drua play in a competition which is above AIL standard
Japanese will progress because of their franchise.

Ireland is a top team with a base of players (around 100K) and good coachings.
I doubt small base of club rugby can allow themselves more than one competitive team, to develop.

Last edit: 1 year 8 months ago by connachta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 8 months ago #59500

If anyone has been wondering where all the academy players released last year have ended up..

Jamie Dever - Houston Sabercats
Jack Dineen - Lansdowne
Ciaran Gaffney - Zebre
Marc Kelly - Young Munster
Saba Meunargia - Chambery
Conor Lowndes - Young Munster
Stephen McVeigh - UCD
Ed O’Keefe - Viadana
Cian Romaine - Buccaneers

The following user(s) said Thank You: overstrander, salmson, Sol_ie, green13, connemara man, Westie, Conn Not 65, RoadRunnerR1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 8 months ago #59501

Didn't know about Saba Meunargia. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 8 months ago #59602
The following user(s) said Thank You: green13

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 7 months ago #59699

Heenan and Muldowney announced on Bristol's twitter

The following user(s) said Thank You: green13

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 7 months ago #59702

BleedGreen wrote: Heenan and Muldowney announced on Bristol's twitter


He said he would not go after Connacht players.
I'm on about Jake.
I hope that is the last of it.

We love you Pat.... But stop nicking our players.
Bad enough Ulster, Leinster, Munster doing it.
But now Bristol!


Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 7 months ago #59703

I like Jake, but given his injury profile you'd have to wonder how hard Connacht fought to keep him Hope he makes a success of it in Bristol - he deserves better luck

The following user(s) said Thank You: sea_point, salmson, green13

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 7 months ago #59704

Tall Paul wrote:

BleedGreen wrote: Heenan and Muldowney announced on Bristol's twitter


He said he would not go after Connacht players.
I'm on about Jake.
I hope that is the last of it.

We love you Pat.... But stop nicking our players.
Bad enough Ulster, Leinster, Munster doing it.
But now Bristol!


From what I’m led to believe Jake wasn’t offered a contract by Connacht so your point is redundant factoring in it’s the only player he has signed from Connacht!
I can understand also why he wasn’t offered one but I hope his luck with injuries improves and he has a successful time in Bristol and beyond .

The following user(s) said Thank You: green13

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 7 months ago #59705

Being realistic this is a good deal for everyone, Jake gets (I presume) more money and we free up space in our budget for a player who isn't constantly injured.

It's a shame because I think if it weren't for all the injuries he could have been a Connacht legend and an Ireland international. Good luck to him.

The following user(s) said Thank You: sligsup, green13, Wellmissus, Conn Not 65

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • sea_point
  • sea_point's Avatar
  • Away
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
More
1 year 7 months ago #59709

Mark Mostyn wrote: Being realistic this is a good deal for everyone, Jake gets (I presume) more money and we free up space in our budget for a player who isn't constantly injured.

It's a shame because I think if it weren't for all the injuries he could have been a Connacht legend and an Ireland international. Good luck to him.


I'd be very surprised given his injury profile if he is on more money, or if more much more at all. If true his contract wasn't being renewed; then securing a decent term of contract will have had more significance than value...

If he can stay fit for most of a season, he's well worth a good wedge, but I can't see Bristol paying him more if he spends as much time rehabbing as he's done with us (available for less than half the games over five years).

He's a quality player and I think Aly and family moving back from France will help. And of course a shirt hop down the coast to the best surfing beaches in Somerset/North Devon and Cornwall (as close to the West of Ireland as England does)...


===============================================
I see the future, and it's Green again...!!!

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: sligsup

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

logo