Search Our Site

Topic-icon Connacht Signing Announcments - 2012-13

• ummm,
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Water Boarder
More
11 years 10 months ago #7884

And now Darragh Hurley has been added to the list of retirements at Munster. Not that we were looking at him, but this now means Munster are in the market for 2 more props, which makes things more difficult for us

Justice 4 Faruk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 10 months ago #7893

Competing with fellow Irish man Jamie Kilbane for the loosehead slot, Cahill has come out on top, starting all four of the recent promotion play-off games. The 24-year-old’s impressive form has resulted in him penning a contract extension with the Titans this week.

As I feared in the previous post, it's over for a month to try attracting Cahill... And no hope for Kilbane to move either, has also, re-sign with Titans

More
11 years 10 months ago #7895

Where are we now with props?

Rogers and Stephens are confirmed as gone. Maguire as good as. White has come in.

So we're left with Wilkinson and Buckley as dedicated Looseheads, White and Rodney over the far side and Loughney as ambipropsterous. With the B&I Cup, that's nowhere near enough.

More
11 years 10 months ago #7899

Rodney came on as loosehead in the last game of the saeson, so maybe he's going LH or ambipropsterous (nice one!) too. Still a prop sort minimum, even if there are young lads coming up too.

More
11 years 10 months ago #7901

Also have Bealham on the books in some form, imagine he'll see a good deal of action at loose head with the 'Connacht Eagles' ;) next season.

Another prop to cover both sides is essential really, we'll really be scrambling around to fill the 2 prop positions on the bench for B&I Cup games, even more so if there is an injury or two

HC weekend:
Senior Team
Wilkinson, White, Buckley, Loughney

Eagles Team
Bealham, Ah You, ?, ?

More
11 years 10 months ago #7902

a team like connacht can only afford to carry 6 fulltime props with maybe a couple in the acadamy. Finlay bealham may become a full acadamy player next season but they only have room for one signing (IQ) on a full time contract assuming Maguire leaves and that will be on the LH side most likely.

More
11 years 10 months ago #7903

Diarmuid Higgins and Paul Griffin were the props were the Connacht u20's last season. I'm sure they'll be playing B & I Cup

The following user(s) said Thank You: Borders no.2

More
11 years 10 months ago #7905

Link won't seem to post but just saw that Eamonn Sheridan from Leinster is off to Rotherham for next season.

Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by Borders no.2.

• ididnotkillmywife
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 9 months ago #8004

In the Sunday Times, it says Jamie Hagan is mulling over a return to Connacht. With him, Nathan White, Brett Wilkinson and Ronan Loughney, we'd have a fantastic group of frontline props.

More
11 years 9 months ago #8005

ididnotkillmywife wrote: In the Sunday Times, it says Jamie Hagan is mulling over a return to Connacht. With him, Nathan White, Brett Wilkinson and Ronan Loughney, we'd have a fantastic group of frontline props.

It said he will see out his contract with Leinster though

If he's mulling over a return and is unhappy at Leinster then I'm sure they'll try to bring the likes of Martin Moore and Tadgh Furlong through rather than Hagan. If that's the case he may be alot worse off coming back than he was leaving

• connachtexile
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
11 years 9 months ago #8006

It said he will see out his contract with Leinster though

If he's mulling over a return and is unhappy at Leinster then I'm sure they'll try to bring the likes of Martin Moore and Tadgh Furlong through rather than Hagan. If that's the case he may be alot worse off coming back than he was leaving

True or on the other hand they might give him more gametime in an effort to keep him. Also you' d imagine if he came back to us this time it would be to stay. I think he is very disappointed with the signing of Michael Bent. Will be interesting to see what will happen over the next season. All it takes is one injury to Mike Ross ans alot could change for him just like it did for Ross when Stan Wright got injured.

Stuck in Oz with no slippers

• ididnotkillmywife
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 9 months ago #8007

It says "Hagan has been deliberating over a return to Connacht - though as things stand, he will remain under contract to the European champions next season". To me that reads as him and Connacht are trying to negotiate a release from his Leinster deal, much as Steven Sykes managed to do a few months ago in returning to the Sharks. If Leinster can replace him, I'd say they'll allow him leave. The IRFU would probably be happy if it played out that way too since it would give him a better chance at starting in the Heineken Cup than he currently has in Dublin.

More
11 years 9 months ago #8008

ididnotkillmywife wrote: It says "Hagan has been deliberating over a return to Connacht - though as things stand, he will remain under contract to the European champions next season". To me that reads as him and Connacht are trying to negotiate a release from his Leinster deal, much as Steven Sykes managed to do a few months ago in returning to the Sharks. If Leinster can replace him, I'd say they'll allow him leave. The IRFU would probably be happy if it played out that way too since it would give him a better chance at starting in the Heineken Cup than he currently has in Dublin.

That's an interesting way of looking at it

Loughs, White, Wilko, Hagan, Buckley. That would be a pretty impressive roster of props

Perhaps if Leinster are able to sign a replacement then they'll let him go.

• ididnotkillmywife
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 9 months ago #8009

I'm sure that privately Hagan has wondered whether moving back to Leinster was the right move especially when he was relegated to third choice behind Nathan White, no more so than most people in Irish rugby would have wondered it. I don't have any insider knowledge but I thought it was strange that the paper would just make a throwaway comment he was considering leaving unless there was some concrete evidence behind it.

• connachtexile
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
11 years 9 months ago #8011

True and while no one was on the by-line i think it was written by Peer O'Reily who is usually quite reliable. He's no Hugh Farrelly anyway.

Looking at it from a Leinster view would they let him leave a year early? White is gone and Bent while sounding good on paper hasn't played Rabo Rugby yet. So that makes Hagan technically no. 2 behind Ross who will be away on international duty so you'd figure that he'd get more gametime. Leinster will probably want to keep him for the last year of his contract just to see how Bent does and bring up one of the younger lads to take his place as 3rd choice.

Stuck in Oz with no slippers

More
11 years 9 months ago #8012

Bent isn't coming from the Hurricanes to play B & I Cup. Bent is 25 and will be given opportunities and Hagan will have to make a big impression early on next season, if he gets a chance. Hagan is bound to be a bit peeved

However, he burnt bridges in Connacht in the manner in which he left and there'll have to be grovelling on his part to come back. But at the end of the day, Elwood aint stupid, Hagan would be a much better option than something like Borlase or Royce Burke Flynn

logo