Search Our Site

Topic-icon Connacht Squad 2014/2015

• ConnachtCows
  • ConnachtCows's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 9 months ago #27599

So it looks as if your squad is finalised for next season.

What do people think?
Where are we short?
What team would you start with?

I see Henshaw is being listed as Center. Could be the end of his full back career, unless he becomes rubbish in the center

I'd probably start with:

Buckley
Harris-Wright
White

Kearney
Swift

Muldoon
Heenan
McKeon

Marmion
Ronaldson

Carr
Aki
Henshaw
Poolman
Muliaina

Connacht Rugby Squad 2014/15

Props:

Ronan Loughney, Denis Buckley, Rodney Ah You, Nathan White, JP Cooney, Finlay Bealham

Hookers:

Jason Harris-Wright, Dave Heffernan, Sean Henry, Tom McCartney

Second Rows:

Mick Kearney, Aly Muldowney, Michael Swift, Danny Qualter, Quinn Roux

Back Rowers:

Andrew Browne, Mata Fifita, Jake Heenan, Willie Faloon, Eoin McKeon, John Muldoon, George Naoupu

Scrum-halves:

Kieran Marmion, Ian Porter, John Cooney

Out-halves:

Miah Nikora, Craig Ronaldson, Jack Carty

Centres:

Robbie Henshaw, Dave McSharry, Conor Finn, Bundee Aki, Shane O’Leary

Wingers:

Fionn Carr, Matt Healy, Tiernan O’Halloran, Danie Poolman, Niyi Adeolokun

Fullbacks:

Mils Muliaina, Darragh Leader, Shane Layden

@ConnachtCows - Always looking for new followers :)
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by ConnachtCows.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Diom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago #27600

Still very concerned about 10 and 8 (if Naoupu and McKeon aren't back to their best level)

Buckley
Harris-Wright
AhYou

Kearney
Muldowney

Heenan
Faloon
McKeon

Marmion
Carty

TOH
Aki
Henshaw
Poolman
Muliaina

Subs

Cooney (JP)
Heffernan
White
Roux
Browne
Cooney
O'Leary
Leader

Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by connachta.

More
9 years 9 months ago #27602

So in summary we're worse off at loosehead and lock due to Wilko/Clarke retirements, and better off at hooker, scrum-half, centre and full-back; as-you-were at tight-head/back-row/flyhalf/winger.

With the squad not being obviously better than last year, I guess how well we do will be mostly predicated on how all the young players in the squad develop this year.

• Darragh507
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 9 months ago #27606

Could really have done with a marque backrow

I expect more from muldowney this year.

Might see a few loan transfers through the year??

More
9 years 9 months ago #27607

I'm going to reserve judgement but on first glance a couple of key areas were not improved on. If Muldowney can improve, Kearney can continue to progress and Roux can surprise a few people the second row will do ok. In the back row, Heenan and Faloon have to stay healthy and McKeon and George have to bounce back in order for it not to be a negative. The backs have been improved with the signing of Aki and Muliaina but it may not amount to much if there isn't a outhalf to release them. It is probably my biggest area of concern since at the moment I'm not confident that even playing at their best any of the three is a top level outhalf. Perhaps Carty or Ronaldson can get there but I haven't seen it yet. Success this season may depend more on Pat's coaching ability.

More
9 years 9 months ago #27608

A bit underwhelmed really. With Parks going I was sure we'd recruit at out half but its a gaping hole. A good out half isn't easy to find but its hard to see us achieving much with our current options.

Nikora is an ok backup at best, Carty is unproven and a bit lightweight at this level yet imo. Ronaldson has played his best rugby at 12 for me but with the recruitment that has happened, he'll probably get a run at 10.

8 is another area everyone was looking at but with George as NIQ it was going to be difficult to get anyone in this season for that position. Let's just hope he can give us a good season to sign off with. McKeon isn't an 8 imo but has scope for improvement.

In the 2nd row Muldowney has to step it up big time, definitely the flop of the season last season for me but he was highly regarded at Exeter so he must have something about him. Hopefully Quinn Roux can do a job when required.

Cooney is the signing that most impresses me. A genuine alternative to Marmion who can come in and make an do a job if Marmion is absent and give him a rest from time to time.

If McCartney works out it could be a very useful signing to give us enough options in the front row to get by.

The backline looks exciting but whether we have the ball carriers or out half in place to get the most out of them is extremely doubtful.

For me top 6 with that squad would be a miracle. If we are close to top 6 in the final few weeks and make the last 8 in Europe I'd judge that a good season.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Decadence, connachtexile

More
9 years 9 months ago #27610

I am going for a youthful option i think Mc keon would be a great six .Dont think he is powerful enough for 8 . I rate daragh leader very highly but you have to go for the all black . I have thrown in a few young lads aswell cause i think they will make the set up towards the end of the year !!!

Buckley
Tom McCartney
AhYou

Kearney
quinn roux

McKeon/SOB
Heenan/Faloon
Muldoon

Marmion
Ronaldson

Carr/Gaffney
Aki
Henshaw
Poolman
Muliaina

More
9 years 9 months ago #27611

Load of players - Marmion, Kearney, Ah You, Aki, McCartney - will be rested or playing ITM Cup come September. Harris-Wright would be doing very well to be back by then too.

It's hard to guess what the XV for the first game will look like but here goes...

Muliaina
Poolman
Henshaw
McSharry
Healy
Lucky Dip
Cooney

Loughney
Henry
White
Muldowney
Roux
Muldoon (c)
Heenan
Lucky Dip

If I had to put money on 8 or 10 I'd say SOB and Nikora but that's a pure throwing-darts-at-photos selection.

More
9 years 9 months ago #27613

2nd row and 10 are going to be the problem areas this year, and i think the lack of power in the 2nd row will have a knock-effect on the front-row and see us getting hammered at scrums, I think we'll just about get by at 8, McKeon will hopefully develop next year, he's still a young guy. I think we'll always be on the backfoot so we really needed an eric elwood style number 10, one who finds the corners with relieving kicks, no point having a decent backline if the scrumhalf and number 10 don't have a platform to start with.

• ConnachtCows
  • ConnachtCows's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 9 months ago #27614

clanman wrote: 2nd row and 10 are going to be the problem areas this year, and i think the lack of power in the 2nd row will have a knock-effect on the front-row and see us getting hammered at scrums, I think we'll just about get by at 8, McKeon will hopefully develop next year, he's still a young guy. I think we'll always be on the backfoot so we really needed an eric elwood style number 10, one who finds the corners with relieving kicks, no point having a decent backline if the scrumhalf and number 10 don't have a platform to start with.

Is it not pretty much the exact same front 8, that played the majority of our games last season, where we had a very strong scrum?
Obviously Clarke is gone, but he missed a large chunk of games anyway

@ConnachtCows - Always looking for new followers :)

More
9 years 9 months ago #27681

Interesting interview with Swift on the journal in which he comments on younger players coming through.

Long time member, short time poster

More
9 years 8 months ago #27696

Conor McKeon, little cousin could weel indeed take his chance in the next years. Seems to be an accurate kicker, drop-goaler and handy outhalf. Niyi Adeolukan try on the video too

Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by connachta.
The following user(s) said Thank You: connachtexile

• connachtexile
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
More
9 years 8 months ago #27699

Was impressed with McKeown. Niyi took his try very well but his attempted tackle that let Ireland U20 in was not so impressive. He'll be a work in progress.

Stuck in Oz with no slippers

• sea_point
  • Praetorian Guard
More
9 years 8 months ago #27701

connachtexile wrote: Was impressed with McKeown.

Niyi took his try very well but his attempted tackle that let Ireland U20 in was not so impressive. He'll be a work in progress.

Nice step for Niyi's try to create the space, but wasn't particularly impressed with his wheels. He just about got there in the end.

Something we seriously lack is back three player with serious gas, even Fionn who is another stepper really...

Maybe with Derval O'Rourke now retired, we could steal a march and get here in to do a Margot Wells to improve the sharpness of our outside guys...

More
9 years 8 months ago #27730

1st training photos and someone had the great idea to put number on each player!

1st indication : Ronaldson is wearing 10 whereas newcomer O'Leary is wearing 12, the reverse could have been imagined

Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by connachta.

More
9 years 8 months ago #27731

I see that the Chiefs are struggling to make the knockout stages down South.

Does this mean we could have Bundee sooner than thought or will he play club rugby?

NOBODY'S PERFECT

logo